Saturday, September 27, 2014

Blog post #6

What do you learn from these conversations with Anthony Capps?

1.Project Based Learning Part 1
2.Project based learning part 2
3.iCurio
4.Discovery Education
5.The Anthony-Strange list of tips for teachers part 1
6.Don't Teach Tech - Use it
7.Additional Thought About Lessons

I watched all of these videos and I really enjoyed listening to these conversations. They were very helpful and I got some great tips from them. Anthony Capps seems like such a great teacher and I think I enjoyed it as much as I did due to the fact that I want to be a 3rd grade teacher as well. It still amazes me that a 3rd grader can do things on a computer better than some of the college students in mu class.

1.Project Based Learning Part 1
and
2.Project based learning part 2
I put these two together because they are the same conversation. I really liked listening to this one, there were a lot of things that I learned about project based learning. A lot of teachers think that the reasoning behind projects is to show you what they have learned, when in reality it should be to help them learn. This video has helped me learn more about how to approach project based learning. One thing I recall Anthony saying was "If you think it will be too hard for the students, then do it yourself before."

3.iCurio
I really love iCurio, one of the main reasons I am still a little hesitant to give a child a computer is the little control that I would have over what they look up.
Lets be honest when you hand a little boy of almost any age a computer with access to the internet... what is the first word he will search on the internet?
I hate to even say that but we know that there is a ridiculous easy way to access things that kids don't need to see. The reason like iCurio is for that reason and many more.
I really like the thought that my students could go and save there information into a file and come back to it in such a simple and easy way.

4.Discovery Education
Discovery Education isn't anything new to me I am friends with a lot of teacher and some of them use this. I have heard goos things about it and I decided to look it up and see what I could find. I found that the website had a lot of helpful information about it and I love how they had some free lesson plans that you could use and work off of.

5.The Anthony-Strange list of tips for teachers part 1
These tips were a big help and I love how honest ya'll were with each other, you listened to what he had to say and ya'll went back and forth on some of these topics. I wrote down these things and saved the video to my youtube because these 6 tips will be helping me with the way I teach in my future.
1.Be a Constant Learner Yourself
2.Teaching never ends, It is hard work and It is very rewarding
3.Be Flexible the unexpected will happen!
4.Start with a Goal
5.Engage 100% of your students 100% of the time in 100% of their projects
6.Reflect, Revise, Share. Work with an Audience.
I think my favorite and the one I agree with the most there is number five. Never leave a child behind and I love when Anthony talked about that because I couldn't agree more.

6.Don't Teach Tech - Use it
I really enjoyed this one because I never really opened my mind up to children having the access to technology until I entered into this class. I like the way that Anthony shows us to "secretly" teach them how to us tech. He is teaching them but he is doing it in a that he doesn't have to take time away from his year plan or his weekly schedule. I have noticed Dr.Strange do this same technque because you really shouldn't have to stop what your doing to show a student what buttons to press and how to work something if they aren't really trying themselves. I really do agree with not spoon feeding your students because they aren't always going to have a teacher right there to help them with everything.

7.Additional Thought About Lessons
This short video showed me a lot because it had a lot of information in it. I never thought of it the way that Anthony said it in this video. He explained that you have to base every lesson on the last one. So all of your days go with your weeks and all of your weeks go with your units(months) and then all of your years. He said that there are 4 layers to it, like a Russian doll.

These videos are great, yall made them interesting and helpful in the eyes of a soon to be educator.
Screenshot of Anthony and Dr.Strange talking about tips for teachers

2 comments:

  1. Very good blog post! I love all of the websites you referenced to. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome Blog post!! Everything is so neat and organized. The screenshot was a great idea for your picture. Keep up the great post!

    ReplyDelete